Saturday 29 June 2013

BAKING: Rum and Caramel Mini Layer Cakes


So I had the fabulous idea to bake cupcakes for a friends birthday this weekend, rather than fulfilling expectation and arriving with a box of Hummingbird's finest. As is usually the case, simplicity wasn't my foremost thought. The flavour combination of Rum and Caramel came to me as if by magic and I knew there had to be caramel and rum buttercream in the middle which meant they had to be layer cakes, mini victoria sponges if you will. Being the novice that I am I wasn't really sure how to go about this, short of baking cupcakes and cutting each one in half individually. So I called in the expert, Madre Rumblings, who suggested baking a sheet cake and cutting the layers out. Voila! Dilemma solved by someone in the know.


The cake mix was vanilla, with added rum syrup and then further rum syrup was poured over the cake once it came out of the oven. Alcoholic much.




A dollop of Caramel and a dollop of rum buttercream were added to the centre of each individual cake with a further buttercream dollop on top to hold the decoration.


Edible icing bags made by Madre Rumblings over at www.cakesbyjem.co.uk :-)

The cakes were a huge success, quite finicky for me and quite time consuming, but the suprise on the face of the birthday girl and the appreciation and of course praise from the guests made it all worthwhile. And to be honest I was quite proud of myself.

PR Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you been? Would you go?