Thursday 5 December 2013

Jing Tea Tasting, Paramount


I’m relatively new to tea drinking, well black tea anyway. I grew up drinking herbal teas, but have since joined the ranks of the "real" tea drinkers (after working in offices where a tea break was obligatory and faffy herbal teas were frowned upon). 
Coming from a herbal tea background my palate shunned the typically chipped mug of ‘strong sweet builders tea’ and instead settled much more suitably on the fragrant delight that is Lady Grey (I’m a Lady don’t you know). Never to be caught short without a teabag (often burst and scattering it's ashes) at the bottom of my handbag, I was excited to be invited to the Jing tea tasting event at Paramount. 

32nd floor. Hello! Amazing views! Currently draped in Christmas lights London is at its sparkly best from up high, but I digress... 


The evening opened with a cold serving of Jasmine Silver Needle White tea, it was quite the opener, very delicate in flavour it would be perfect on a Summer afternoon. Our Jing representative, a born and bred South Londoner (like moi) talked us through the best way to prepare each tea.

 

 Did you know that when brewing Green tea you shouldn't use boiling water as it makes the tea bitter? I didn't, but it makes perfect sense and explains why I couldn't join the ranks of the green tea drinkers and reap all the benefits. The Jing Anji Green tea, brewed as it should be and decanted into the cutest glass cups, cautiously tasted by me, was really pleasant and refreshing, an experience I wouldn't hesitate to repeat. 


My favourite tea of the evening was the Silver Needle White tea, light fragrant and ever so slightly reminiscent of Lady Grey. The main attraction was the Jing Wild Wuyi Gold, the UK's most exclusive black tea, at £90 per 10g made with 100 year old tea leaves, I savoured the flavour, which was pretty unique, but the Silver Needle came top for me.


I left the event on a bit of tea high, promising to revisit green tea now armed with all the facts on how to brew it properly. A Jing gift set (like the one we were given to take home, above) would make a great christmas present for the tea Connoisseur in your life, those little glass cups and teapots are the cutest and the tea is definitely the best i've ever tasted.

PR Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you been? Would you go?